The Ukuphumelela Trust would like to provide events that are a platform for the schools and communities involved in their service providers’ projects and individuals to compete in:
–Inter-School, Inter-Provincial and International levels
–Opportunity for training camps afterwards
- Learning from visiting senior athletes / coaches
- Engaging with national and international bodies
–Gain exposure for the programmes
- Media attention on positive themes (community and family cohesion, youth development, talent, upliftment, sports, health)
- Engagement with dignitaries and VIP guests
- Cross-sector opportunities (e.g. tourism promotion)
The Speed Challenge is an annual event that was started in 2013 which brings together the rope skippers of the Western Cape to compete against each other in their age groups and genders to be crowned the King and Queen of Speed.
Skippers compete in the sections of 30 second speed, 30 second double unders and 3 minute speed to try claim the title.
It is a morning event that also involves many gymnastics displays from children of all ages and active audience participation in display items, learning to skip and learning to judge.
The event is broadcast on Cape Town TV (terrestrial in CT Metropole and channel 263 on DSTV)
Skippers are treated to a gift hamper of t-shirts, skipping ropes, water bottles, caps and lunch. This is one of the highlighted events for all the skippers to take part in.